Last updated: 12/15/2021
- Video Recording Privacy Notice
- What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
- Who do we share it with?
- How long will we keep your personal information?
Video Recording Privacy Notice
Please read this notice in conjunction with our Privacy Notice.
What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
We may collect your personal information from technology we use in our stores, such as our facility cameras. We operate cameras in stores and corporate facilities for security and operational purposes, for example, to help us improve the design of our stores to better serve our customers and associates.
We capture direct camera footage and images of you when you enter the field of vision of the cameras installed in our stores, at self-service checkouts, in our parking lots, facilities, fleet and logistics sites, and store support centre. You may also be captured by vehicle mounted cameras on our delivery vans and trucks.
We use the information captured this way to:
- Ensure the safety of our associates, customers, and visitors
- Monitor and manage the use of our parking lots
- Prevent and detect crimes and investigate accidents, incidents, and claims
- Investigate potential breaches of Walmart policies
- For training and awareness, and to understand operational efficiencies and challenges
Where we use CCTV images for learning purposes, we always take additional steps to protect the privacy of an individual appearing in the footage.
Who do we share it with?
Where necessary, we share footage and images with the police, local authorities and government agencies for the prevention and detection of crime. Where requested by a law firm or insurance company acting on behalf of an individual, we may share CCTV footage or images for use as evidence in relation to a claim, for example, damage to a vehicle.
How long will we keep your personal information?
Access to such footage and excerpts is limited to those who need to have access to such footage for a declared purpose.
- CCTV footage is held on our systems for up to 90 days
- Camera footage from our delivery vans and trucks is overwritten after 100 hours
- Excerpts capturing reviewable incidents are 12 seconds long and may be kept for longer to support the investigation of a suspected crime or accident and any related legal or regulatory action. These copies will be securely destroyed when they are no longer needed.