Last updated: 12/15/2021
- What types of personal information do we collect?
- How does Walmart protect the privacy of children online?
- How do we use your personal information?
- How do we share your personal information outside Walmart?
- How do we secure your personal information?
- How long do we keep the personal information we collect?
This Privacy Notice covers customer information we collect at Wal-Mart Canada Corp. (“Walmart”) retail stores, through our websites www.Walmart.ca and www.Walmartphotocentre.ca and through our mobile application(s).
The following is a high-level summary of this Privacy Notice. Please read the Privacy Notice in its entirety before accessing our websites, apps or disclosing personal information to Walmart:
- Accountable: Walmart, with offices at 1940 Argentia Road, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1P9, is the accountable organization for all personal information that you share with us.
- CECO: To help meet our commitment to you, we have appointed a Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer ("CECO") to oversee our privacy practices and privacy compliance program. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our policies and practices related to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Office at CAPrivacy@wal-mart.com or by writing to Privacy Office, Wal-Mart Canada Corp., 1940 Argentia Road Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1P9.
- Information Collection: When you interact with Walmart, we collect personal information for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. For more information about the types of personal information we collect click here.
- Information Use: We use personal information for several different purposes which are described here.
- Information Sharing: We share the personal information we collect from you in a number of different circumstances, including to our service providers and other third parties who assist us in providing services to you. Some of the third parties we share your personal information with may be located in jurisdictions outside of Canada. For more information about who we share your personal information to, click here.
- Security: We take the protection of your personal information seriously. For more information on how we protect it, click here.
- Your Rights: Depending on where you are located, you have various rights in relation to your personal information. For more details about your rights, click here.
What types of personal information do we collect?
When you interact with Walmart, we collect personal information from you in a variety of ways, both in stores and online. Walmart uses your personal information to offer and provide our products and services and to support our core business functions. These include order fulfillment and delivery, providing services, internal business processes, marketing (including relevant advertising), authentication, loss and fraud prevention, public safety, customer service and legal functions.
Communications you have with us, such as telephone calls, may be recorded and reviewed to ensure the quality of our service and the accuracy of your information and instructions. If you do not want your communications to be recorded, you can notify us at the beginning of the call and alternatives will be offered to you.
Otherwise, to accomplish these purposes, we may combine personal and other information we collect online or through our mobile apps with offline information, including information from third parties.
For greater details on specific uses of your personal information, please refer to our supplemental notices.
How does Walmart protect the privacy of children online?
We are committed to protecting children’s online privacy. Our website is a general audience website not geared towards children. In order to protect the privacy of children, Walmart websites do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without prior parental consent. Please contact us via the Contact Us section of this policy if you believe we may have collected information from your child and we will work to delete it.
How do we use your personal information?
Your consent is required for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by us, unless otherwise required or permitted by law.
When you voluntarily provide certain personal information to us, you are also giving your implied consent (if express verbal or written consent is not otherwise required) for us to collect, use and disclose that personal information to fulfill the following purposes:
- to manage your account and provide you with customer support
- to process your payments and to help resolve payment disputes
- to provide you with goods and services
- to tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our websites and apps
- to deliver targeted advertising and promotional offers to you that may be of interest based on your browsing or purchase history or that are of the highest relevance to your demographic profile
- to communicate with you in connection with any promotions, products, or services we believe may be of interest to you, as well as any changes to services provided to you
- to save your data, such as your user account, registration, and other data so you do not have to re-enter it each time you visit or use the services
- to offer more secure access to your account
- to maintain and improve our websites and apps including improving the content and functionality or customizing the layout of our pages
- to conduct surveys and market research in order to improve our offerings
- to detect and combat fraud, and better understand how to protect your information
- to protect our own rights and interests, such as to resolve any disputes, enforce our terms of service, or to respond to legal process
- to protect the rights and interests of our customers from individuals or organizations that violate the law or our terms of service, such as in cases of account takeovers, harassment or threats
- to comply with applicable law
- to ensure safety of our customers, associates and facilities and
- in connection with a potential sale of our business or assets and/or to manage legal claims against us each of which are described in more detail below.
We may also collect and analyze aggregated and/or anonymized information to produce statistical data to help us improve our provision of the services and manage user activity across our websites and apps.
How do we share your personal information outside Walmart?
We do not otherwise share, give, rent or sell your personal information to any other third parties, unless you give us additional consent to do so or as may be required or permitted
When permitted by law, we may share your personal information with third parties with your prior consent or under the following limited circumstances:
- Other Businesses in Our Corporate Family - We may share your personal information with other brands and businesses within the Walmart corporate family. When we do, the information will be used in ways that are consistent with this Privacy Notice.
- Service Providers - We may share your personal information with service providers that help with our business activities, including shipping vendors, delivery service providers, billing and refund vendors, vendors who operate our websites (such as Photo Centre), photo printing and fulfillment vendors, payment card processors, marketing and advertising vendors, research and data analytics vendors, webcast hosting vendors and companies that help us improve websites, apps, products and services. We only share personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide the service and require our service providers to keep your personal information secure by using adequate physical, technological, and administrative security measures. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our service providers in Canada, the United States or other locations where the service providers or Walmart maintain facilities.
- Products and Services Offered by Other Businesses - We will sometimes enable other businesses to make their products or services available to our customers, such as through Walmart.ca Marketplace retailers. You may purchase products or services from these other businesses at our stores or through our websites or mobile services. When you purchase these products or services, we identify the other business and share with this business personal information related to your purchase of their products and services. These other businesses may operate their business in Canada, the United States or in other countries.
- Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others - We may share your personal information in other special circumstances, which include situations when sharing is required by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of Walmart, our customers, our associates, or other persons. Examples include:
- Protecting the health or safety of customers
- Addressing crimes committed on Walmart property
- Identifying and addressing fraud or financial risk on Walmart properties (including our websites) and the properties of other merchants.
- Providing personal information from cameras to law enforcement at their written request
- Responding to a search warrant or other valid legal inquiry or order (which may include lawful access by Canadian, US or other foreign governmental authorities, courts or law enforcement agencies) and
- Responding to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement, violation of law, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable Canadian, US or other law.
- Business Transfers - In the event that all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized (including transfers made as a part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings), personal information about you could be shared with the successor business.
- With Specific Notice or Your Consent - In circumstances other than those described above, we will provide specific notice or ask for your consent, as required by law, before we share your personal information outside of our corporate family of companies, and we also will not sell or rent your personal information for money.
How do we secure your personal information?
Walmart is committed to keeping your personal information secure. Whether you are shopping online, on our apps or in our stores, we use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information.
Walmart designs its products, services, and systems with privacy and security in mind, and we employ numerous professionals whose sole mission is to ensure data integrity and security. Dedicated information security teams ensure appropriate technical and organizational information security measures are applied to protect personal information against unauthorized access, disclosure, loss or use during transit and at rest.
Walmart associates are accountable for the protection of personal information under their control and must take appropriate measures to prevent loss, damage, abuse or unauthorized access to such information. We ensure that each team member with access to personal information completes privacy and information security training to equip them with knowledge and skills to properly protect the data under their control.
Your information is usually stored in Canada, but we may use suppliers or partners located outside of the country. For example, some of our computer systems, including our websites, are operated by our parent company, Walmart Inc., in the United States or by other companies contracted to provide services to Walmart that operate in other jurisdictions.
Because the law in some of these countries may not provide the same level of protection as Canadian law, we put in place information management agreements with each company that processes personal information for Walmart. These agreements require that, wherever your personal information is held or processed, it is protected to the same high standard as required by law in Canada.
Please be aware that no security measures can guarantee complete security. You should also take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your login credentials private. For more best practices, please check Staying Safe Online.
How long do we keep the personal information we collect?
We keep your personal information for only as long as it is required for the purposes for which it was collected, or as otherwise permitted by applicable law, after which we delete or anonymize your personal information. Once your personal information is anonymized or deleted, your email is removed from our distribution lists and, except for any information that we require to retain for accounting or legal purposes (including to manage any potential chargebacks), your account is no longer accessible or viewable.