Last updated: 09/11/2023
- What types of personal information do we collect?
- How does Walmart protect the privacy of children online?
- How do we use your personal information?
- How do we share your personal information outside Walmart?
- Location of processing and cross-border transfers of personal information
- How do we secure your personal information?
- How long do we keep the personal information we collect?
This Privacy Notice covers customer information we collect at Wal-Mart Canada Corp. (“Walmart”) retail stores, through our websites www.Walmart.ca and www.Walmartphotocentre.ca and through our mobile application(s).
The following is a high-level summary of this Privacy Notice. Please read the Privacy Notice in its entirety before accessing our websites, apps or disclosing personal information to Walmart:
- Accountable: Walmart, with offices at 1940 Argentia Road, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1P9, is the accountable organization for all personal information that you share with us.
- CECO: To help meet our commitment to you, we have appointed a Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer ("CECO") to oversee our privacy practices and privacy compliance program. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our policies and practices related to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Office at CAPrivacy@wal-mart.com or by writing to Privacy Office, Wal-Mart Canada Corp., 1940 Argentia Road Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1P9.
- Information Collection: When you interact with Walmart, we collect personal information for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. For more information about the types of personal information we collect click here.
- Information Use: We use personal information for several different purposes which are described here.
- Information Sharing: We share the personal information we collect from you in a number of different circumstances, including to our service providers and other third parties who assist us in providing services to you. Some of the third parties we share your personal information with may be located in jurisdictions outside of Canada. For more information about who we share your personal information to, click here.
- Data Processing Location: Your information is usually stored in Canada, but we may transfer personal information across international borders for processing by other Walmart affiliates, Walmart Inc. or third-party data processors performing support functions on our behalf in countries and jurisdictions that may not provide for the same level of data protection as your jurisdiction. To learn more about cross-border transfers of personal information, click here.
- Security: We take the protection of your personal information seriously. For more information on how we protect it, click here.
- Your Rights: Depending on where you are located, you have various rights in relation to your personal information. For more details about your rights, click here.
What types of personal information do we collect?
When you interact with Walmart, we collect personal information from you in a variety of ways, both in stores and online. We may collect or receive the categories of personal information listed below. Not all categories will be collected or received for every individual:
- Identifiers: Personal identifiers, such as name, telephone number, mailing address, email address
- Authentication Information: passwords and personal identification numbers (PINs), answers to authentication questions, government issued IDs (e.g., driver’s licence number)
- Device Information and Online Activity: Device and online identifiers, keystroke patterns indicative of human or bot website/app usage, mobile and web network activity and related information (such as Mac address, IP address, cookie IDs, browser activity, and other information associated with your browsing history), and social media information
- Commercial Information: Purchase and transaction history information (such as products or services you have purchased, rented, or returned), product testimonials, and competition entries
- Communications: Communication details (such as the content of emails, text messages, or other communications, including survey responses), call and chat logs, and calendar information where Walmart is a party to the exchange
- Demographic Information: Demographic information, such as age, gender, ethnicity, date of birth, family or marital status, household income, education, professional and employment information
- Financial Information: Financial information, such as credit or debit card details, financial account numbers, and claims information
- Geolocation: Location information
- Sensory Information: Audio, visual information, and other sensory information such as photographs and audio and video recordings
- Inferences: Individual preferences and characteristics, such as inferences related to shopping patterns and behaviors.
Such personal information may be obtained from multiple sources, including:
- Provided directly by you or a member of your household
- Collected from a device associated with you or your household
- Collected through in-store technology
- Collected from another company within our family of companies
- Collected from an external third-party source
- Collected from other sources, when it is appropriate, to help us correct or supplement our records, improve the quality or personalization of our services, increase the relevance of advertising, and to prevent or detect fraud
Walmart uses your personal information to offer and provide our products and services and to support our core business functions. These include order fulfillment and delivery, providing services, internal business processes, making merchandising decisions, developing the website experience,marketing (including relevant advertising), authentication, loss and fraud prevention, public safety, customer service and legal functions.
To accomplish these purposes, we may combine personal and other information we collect online or through our mobile apps with offline information, including information from third parties.
Communications you have with us, such as telephone calls, may be recorded and reviewed to ensure the quality of our service and the accuracy of your information and instructions.
For greater details on specific uses of your personal information, please refer to our supplemental notices.
How does Walmart protect the privacy of children online?
We are committed to protecting children’s online privacy. Our website is intended for use by those of the age of majority or older in the province or territory in which they reside and is not geared towards children. In order to protect the privacy of children, Walmart websites do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without prior parental consent. Please contact us via the Contact Us section of this policy if you believe we may have collected information from your child and we will work to delete it.
How do we use your personal information?
Your consent is required for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by us, unless otherwise required or permitted by law.
We may collect, use and disclose that personal information to fulfill the following purposes:
- to manage your account and provide you with customer support
- to process your payments and to help resolve payment disputes
- to provide you with goods and services
- to communicate with you via email, SMS or app push notifications (including to send you promotional offers and other marketing communications)
- to improve your shopping experience with us by offering personalized product recommendations, advertising and other content through our website and marketing communications to you
- to deliver targeted advertising on third-party websites and social media
- to save your data, such as your user account, registration, and other data so you do not have to re-enter it each time you visit or use the services
- to offer more secure access to your account
- to maintain and improve our websites and apps including improving the content and functionality or customizing the layout of our pages
- to conduct surveys and market research in order to improve our offerings
- to detect and combat fraud, and better understand how to protect your information
- to protect our own rights and interests, such as to resolve any disputes, enforce our terms of service, or to respond to legal process
- to protect the rights and interests of our customers from individuals or organizations that violate the law or our terms of service, such as in cases of account takeovers, harassment or threats
- to comply with applicable law
- to ensure safety of our customers, associates and facilities
- to conduct business analysis, such as analytics, projections, identifying areas for operational improvement
- to conduct research and development, including undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration and
- in connection with a potential sale of our business or assets and/or to manage legal claims against us each of which are described in more detail below.
To the extent we process de-identified information, we will maintain and use the information in de-identified form and will not attempt to reidentify the information unless permitted by applicable law. We will inform you if we plan to use your personal information for any other purpose, unless we are legally authorized to use it otherwise.
Consent may be withdrawn at any time. In some cases, withdrawing your consent is not an option because of legal or contractual requirements. Please note that if you withdraw your consent to our use of certain personal information, Walmart may in need to limit the services it can offer you and may not be able to maintain its relationship and/or interact with you, but only to the extent that your personal information is necessary for such purposes.
If you decide to withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information required to serve you on a daily basis and to meet our legal obligations, we'll provide you with all the information required to explain the impact of such a decision on our provision of products and services. Furthermore, you may change your preferences to receive personalized offers and recommendations and permit collection of information from cookies at any time. To make any changes to your consent, please review the “Take Control of Your Information” section.
How do we share your personal information outside Walmart?
We do not otherwise share, give, rent or sell your personal information to any other third parties, unless you give us additional consent to do so or as may be required or permitted
When permitted by law, we may share your personal information with third parties with your prior consent or under the following limited circumstances:
- Other Businesses in Our Corporate Family - We may share your personal information with other brands and businesses within the Walmart corporate family. When we do, the information will be used in ways that are consistent with this Privacy Notice.
- Service Providers - We may share your personal information with service providers that help with our business activities, including shipping vendors, delivery service providers, billing and refund vendors, vendors who operate our websites (such as Photo Centre), photo printing and fulfillment vendors, payment card processors, marketing and advertising vendors (including social networking and other third-party platforms), research and data analytics vendors, webcast hosting vendors and companies that help us improve websites, apps, products and services. We only share personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide the service and require our service providers to keep your personal information secure by using adequate physical, technological, and administrative security measures. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our service providers in Canada, the United States or other locations where the service providers or Walmart maintain facilities.
- Products and Services Offered by Other Businesses - We will sometimes enable other businesses to make their products or services available to our customers, such as through Walmart.ca Marketplace retailers. You may purchase products or services from these other businesses at our stores or through our websites or mobile services. When you purchase these products or services, we identify the other business and share with this business personal information related to your purchase of their products and services. These other businesses may operate their business in Canada, the United States or in other countries.
- Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others - We may share your personal information in other special circumstances, which include situations when sharing is required by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of Walmart, our customers, our associates, or other persons. Examples include:
- Protecting the health or safety of customers
- Addressing crimes committed on Walmart property
- Identifying and addressing fraud or financial risk on Walmart properties (including our websites) and the properties of other merchants.
- Providing personal information from cameras to law enforcement at their written request
- Responding to a search warrant or other valid legal inquiry or order (which may include lawful access by Canadian, US or other foreign governmental authorities, courts or law enforcement agencies) and
- Responding to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement, violation of law, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable Canadian, US or other law.
- Business Transfers - In the event that all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized (including transfers made as a part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings), personal information about you could be shared with the successor business.
- With Specific Notice or Your Consent - In circumstances other than those described above, we will provide specific notice or ask for your consent, as required by law, before we share your personal information outside of our corporate family of companies, and we also will not sell or rent your personal information for money.
Location of processing and cross-border transfers of personal information
Your information is usually stored in Canada, but we may use suppliers or partners located outside of the country. For example, some of our computer systems, including our websites, are operated by our parent company, Walmart Inc., in the United States or by other companies contracted to provide services to Walmart that operate in other jurisdictions.
Thus, we may transfer personal information across international borders for processing by other Walmart affiliates, Walmart Inc. or third-party data processors performing support functions on our behalf in countries and jurisdictions that may not provide for the same level of data protection as your jurisdiction. We may process your personal information may be processed in the USA (Arkansas), Ireland, India, Mexico, Chile and Costa Rica. Because of this, we put in place information management agreements with each company that processes personal information for Walmart. These agreements require that, wherever your personal information is held or processed, it is protected to the same high standard as required by law in your jurisdiction.
Where required by applicable law, we will only share, transfer or store your personal information outside of your jurisdiction with your prior consent. To the extent permitted by law or based on your consent, we may share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
Category of Personal Information
Category of Third-Party Recipient
Service providers (such as payment processors, direct ship vendors, advertising networks, marketplace sellers, analytics providers, etc.)
Device Information and Online Activity
Business partners that receive data for their own independent use and not to provide services to a Walmart entity
Business partners that receive data for their own independent use and not to provide services to a Walmart entity; Service providers that receive data to provide services to a Walmart entity (e.g., analytics providers, advertising networks, cloud storage providers, etc.)
Business partners that receive data for their own independent use and not to provide services to a Walmart entity
Business partners that receive data for their own independent use and not to provide services to a Walmart entity; Service providers that receive data to provide services to a Walmart entity (e.g., analytics providers, cloud storage providers, etc.); Business partners
How do we secure your personal information?
Walmart is committed to keeping your personal information secure. Whether you are shopping online, on our apps or in our stores, we use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information.
Walmart has a range of privacy and security controls across the organization to ensure compliance with the applicable privacy laws, including but not limited to:
- Proper contractual language
- A privacy impact assessment driven process to ensure that all products and services are built with a focus on privacy by design and by default
- An extensive, on-going training program for its associates, with privacy and information security training upon hiring and then again at least on an annual basis
- State-of-the-art technical and security measures, including data encryption at rest and in transit
- Data maps and records of processing which document the purpose and details of personal information storage and transfer throughout Walmart networks and to third party data processors
- Appropriate access right limitations
- Centralized systems for consent and data subject right management, ensuring that individual access/portability/right-to-be-forgotten and consent permissions are respected and
- Appointment of a Person in Charge of privacy as well as set up of a Privacy Office.
Please be aware that no security measures can guarantee complete security. You should also take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your login credentials private. For more best practices, please check Staying Safe Online.
How long do we keep the personal information we collect?
We keep your personal information for only as long as it is required for the purposes for which it was collected, or as otherwise permitted by applicable law, after which we delete or anonymize your personal information. Once your personal information is anonymized or deleted, your email is removed from our distribution lists and, except for any information that we require to retain for accounting or legal purposes (including to manage any potential chargebacks), your account is no longer accessible or viewable.
In order to access, delete or update/correct your personal information, please submit a written request through our Privacy Request form or by writing to Privacy Office, Wal-Mart Canada Corp., 1940 Argentia Road Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1P9.