Last updated: 09/11/2023
- Pharmacy Privacy Notice
- What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
- Who do we share it with?
- How long will we keep your personal information?
Pharmacy Privacy Notice
Please read this notice in conjunction with our Privacy Notice.
What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
At our pharmacies, we may collect personal health information when you provide us with a prescription to be filled, pay for a prescription, purchase, order, return or exchange products at our pharmacy, receive clinical services, speak to a Walmart pharmacist to receive counselling and advice and/or contact us with a comment, question or complaint relating to one of our pharmacies.
- Prescription Drug Fulfillment: When you provide us with a prescription, we may collect personal information such as your first and last name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, medical history, medical conditions, drug allergies, name of prescribing physician, additional information on the prescription (such as diagnosis or instructions from the prescribing physician), provincial drug benefit program or private health insurance plan information and other information which you may provide to us to assist us in dispensing. We collect this information to correctly dispense your prescription medication (including proper dosage and instructions) as well as to identify you, to ensure the accuracy of our records, to ensure that there are no adverse drug or allergic reactions to any of the medications dispensed, to facilitate our Call Back, Reminder and Order Notification Programs and to comply with applicable professional, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Vaccination: When you schedule a vaccination appointment or receive a vaccination, we may collect personal information such as your first and last name, email address, telephone number, date of birth, provincial health card number, medical conditions, immunization history and drug allergies. We collect this information for screening purposes, to ensure the accuracy of our records and provincial immunization records, and to comply with applicable professional, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Counselling and Advice: When you speak to a Walmart pharmacist to receive counselling or advice, we collect personal information for the purpose of appropriately assisting you. This information may be added to your profile and used to help us assist you in the future. Where appropriate, we also use this information to provide you with treatment-related services, such as refills (if applicable) and prescription reminder calls, and to comply with applicable professional, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Purchase, Order, Return, or Exchange Products: Other than to verify your identity, you do not have to provide us with any personal information when you pay for a drug prescription or other merchandise by cash at one of our pharmacies unless it is to comply with applicable professional, legal and regulatory requirements. If you use a credit or debit card, we collect your credit or debit card-related information and your signature for the purposes of processing your payment. In addition, we collect information related to your provincial drug benefits program or private health insurance provider in order to process payment/reimbursement for your claims and to verify your eligibility and drug coverage.
- Customer Service: When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint relating to one of our pharmacies, you may be asked for information that identifies you along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment or complaint. The information we collect for these purposes may include your name, address and phone number. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our product and service offerings.
Who do we share it with?
Other than as set out in the Privacy Notice, Walmart will not share, trade, rent, sell or otherwise transfer your personal information, without your prior consent, except as otherwise set out below:
- Co-ordination of Health Care: When necessary, we may share personal information with your health care professional, our family of companies and other third parties in order to coordinate your health care. For instance, we may speak to your physician to clarify dosage or other instructions or to discuss allergies or drug reactions. We may also share personal information with other pharmacies in order to fulfill your request to transfer a prescription to or from one of our Pharmacies. We may also share personal information with your caregiver or a family member or friend whom you have designated as your health care representative. We will not share your personal health information in the course of providing you with health care services if you expressly tell us otherwise, but we may not be able to provide you with the services you requested.
- Prescription Payment: We may share information with your provincial drug benefit program, private health insurance provider, or other health claim adjudicator as necessary in order to process your claim, including your eligibility for reimbursement and scope of your drug coverage.
- Provincial Information Programs, Drug Information Systems: We may be required by law to provide prescription-related or vaccination-related information to a government registry. For example, in British Columbia, all pharmacies are required to submit prescription information to PharmaNet, a province-wide network administered by the provincial government and the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia.
- Legal: Walmart pharmacists are required by law to disclose certain information in order to comply with applicable professional, legal and regulatory requirements.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We keep your personal information on file as required by applicable provincial law. Where permitted, we digitize your personal information; otherwise, paper records are maintained in a secure manner both at the pharmacy level and/or at an approved third-party storage facility.
In order to access, delete or update/correct personal information contained within your pharmacy record, please speak to the Pharmacy Manager at the Walmart Pharmacy where you receive healthcare services.