Last updated: 09/11/2023
- Marketing Notice
- What are cookies and web beacons?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- Who do we share this with?
- Why should I accept cookies?
- Managing cookies
Please read this notice in conjunction with our Privacy Notice.
What are cookies and web beacons?
A cookie is a small text file that may be placed on your device when you visit our websites. They are widely used in order to make websites work or work in a better, more efficient way. They can do this because websites can read and write these files, enabling them to recognize you and remember important information that will make your use of a website more convenient (e.g., by remembering your user preferences). Please note, however, that cookies cannot retrieve any personal information from your hard drive or pass along computer viruses.
The cookie allows us to distinguish your device from other users’ devices.
Web beacons, also known as web bugs, pixel tags and clear gifs, are small images, that communicate information from your device to a server.
For the purposes of this notice, cookies, web beacons and all other tracking technologies are referred to as cookies.
- understanding your needs and preferences better to provide you with a better online shopping experience and improved personalized advertising on Walmart.ca and on third party website and social media,
- performing statistical analysis such as measuring usage of our websites and apps or measuring different trends,
- improving our website experience, and goods and services offered
- measure effectiveness of advertising
- fraud detection and assisting our customer service representatives in responding to your inquiries
We may combine the information we have collected via cookies with other personal information we have about you collected through online or in-store interactions for the above purposes (e.g. email addresses or other contact information you have provided, hashed credit or debit cards you have used for payment and saved to your account, etc.).
What types of cookies do we use?
Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are necessary to identify you as a unique visitor for the present browsing activity, recall optional page layout or viewing preferences based on your browser and device type, identify you as being logged into our website and enable fraud and security related functions. These cookies ensure website functionality for your next visit.
These cookies are necessary for the site to function. You can't reject them. You can configure your browser to block essential cookies, but the site may not work properly.
- Performance cookies: These cookies collect information in an aggregate and, therefore, anonymous way and may analyze the overall statistics about the use of our platform, track site editions and language preferences selected, collect data about which third-parties websites directed you to us and which link was clicked, track page views or loading errors, test different versions of our website, analyst information collected to detect potentially fraudulent transactions.
- Analytics and advertising cookies: These cookies allow us to better understand your interests, how you interact with our website and marketing emails, help make the advertising displayed on our website and certain third-party websites more relevant to your interests, limit the number of times you see an ad, and help measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign.
We de-identify your information according to accepted industry standards. Relevant content is created based on your website interactions and experience. We take information from all online customers and de-identify and aggregate it to understand what features are popular and improve our content over time. This allows us to tailor your journey in a way that makes the most sense to you without compromising your privacy.
Who do we share this with?
We share your personal information with third parties like advertising agencies, third party ad servers, technology vendors, providers of sponsored content, research and analytics companies and our family of companies to improve our website’s performance and appeal and help us to provide more relevant advertising and product recommendations on our websites for you as our customers.
We also use social networking and other third party platforms (such as META and Google) to deliver tailored advertisements to you on third-party websites and applications, and to measure how users interact with those advertisements. Also, some of this data will be used to help identify other individuals with similar demographics who may also enjoy seeing our ads
Interest-based ads, also sometimes referred to as personalized or targeted ads, are displayed to you based on information from activities such as purchasing on our sites, purchasing in our stores, or visiting other sites that contain Walmart content or ads.
Why should I accept cookies?
Cookies optimize and adapt your browsing based on your preferences. They help make your user experience on our sites as pleasant as possible by:
- Facilitating the use of tools and forms
- Showing content tailored to your situation
- Offering you a more relevant and easy-to-search site
- Showing you ads related to your interest
Without these cookies, your experience and our ability to offer you the best services and features may be compromised. For example, you may not be able to access certain content or search, login or comment features. Deleting all your cookies will require you to update your choices and preferences.
If you opt out of receiving interest-based advertising, you will continue to receive advertising, but it will not be tailored to your behaviour.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights. This means we will not deny you goods or services, charge different prices or rates, or provide a different level of service or quality of goods. If you ask us to delete your data or if you choose to disable your cookies, you may not be able to participate in certain programs or services which require use of your personal information to function.