By Stephanie Fusco, Corporate Affairs, Walmart Canada
Canadians are gearing up for Halloween at Walmart – relying on the simple, one-stop shop for their spooky needs!
“We’re seeing a return to pre-pandemic shopping behaviour as our customers get ready for the spookiest season,” explains Lynn Rhinds, Associate Category Manager, Seasonal Holidays, Walmart Canada. “From creepy décor to inflatables in both costumes and outdoor offerings and early sales of carrier bags for trick or treaters, we’re seeing stronger sales and a lot of excitement around this year’s assortment.’
Creepy Crawlies Lead The Way
Inside and out, creepy décor has been leading the way as one of this season’s most popular choice – selling more than any other theme. From giant 28” hairy spiders and zombie ground breakers to horror movie waddlers and creepy animated dolls, these spooky on-trend pieces are popping up in homes across the country. Tens of thousands of 8-legged creepy-crawlies have been sold so far, and the season’s not done yet.
Other Halloween trends:
- Pumpkin sales have increased, too – we’re predicting close to a million pumpkins will be sold this year!
- More than half a billion pieces of candy will be sold at Walmart this Halloween season – that’s about 803,000 pieces of candy every hour in the month of October!
- The trick-or-treaters are ready – sales of carrier bags for their candy hauls are up and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of glow sticks already this year.
Not every city is the same!
- This year, customers are loving our Hot Dog and Bee pet costumes – especially in Ontario’s Kitchener West Walmart*, where we’ve sold the most pet costumes so far.
- Inflatables continue to be a big trend – and this year we’re seeing them on humans and lawns alike. Larger-than-life inflatable dinosaur, unicorn and licensed costumes are just some of the inflatable options you’ll see bobbing along streets and ringing the doorbell this year - especially if you live in Saskatchewan, where we sell more than anywhere else in the country.
- Saskatchewan is also where we sell the most outdoor inflatables, with items like our ghosts and scary witch leading on the way to spooky town.
Whether customers choose to shop in-store or online, our shelves have been stocked for the spookiest season with everything they’ll need for tricks, treats and beyond.
Walmart’s Halloween assortment is available in-store and online at www.walmart.ca
*Provinces and territories come in all different shapes and sizes, so all data shared is average units per store to help us provide an equal comparison.