- Renovated store has wider assortment, new services
- Represents a $14.5-million investment in the store
- Expanded Grocery Pickup, added new Express Pickup
- 35 new jobs created and store is hiring for more roles
Toronto, ON, Jan. 20, 2022 – Walmart Canada’s newly remodelled Toronto Dufferin Mall Walmart Supercentre reopened to the community today following a $14.5-million renovation that will provide Walmart customers with a fresh assortment of affordable groceries, general merchandise and convenient services at Walmart’s everyday low prices.
Shopping at the Dufferin Mall Supercentre is quicker, easier, and more convenient than ever before. The renovated store has expanded its Grocery Pickup service with 150 slots available daily with plans to expand to 900 slots. Over the past year, Walmart Canada has made approximately 70,000 items available for customers to pick up.
The renovated store is also one of 28 Walmart stores that launched its time-saving Express Pickup service this week, a new premium option that provides customers with online grocery orders for pickup in two hours or less. When customers place an order for scheduled pickup on the Walmart Canada app and use Mobile Check-in, they’ll receive an alert on their phone when their order is ready. Customers can “check in” on the app to let the store know they’re on the way. The order will be ready for pickup when the customer arrives at the store and loaded into their vehicle within minutes.
“Our customers have been waiting for this and there’s been tremendous feedback so far,” said Store Manager Maksim Bozic. “Our customers can’t believe what they’re seeing with the new upgrades and changes to improve the shopping experience. The store looks bright, organized, and refreshed. We have ready-to-eat rotisserie chickens and samosas, a new sushi bar and a fresh in-store bakery for all to enjoy. The response from our customers has been very positive.”
The Dufferin Mall Supercentre is the closest Walmart Canada store to downtown Toronto and it’s designed to be a delivery hub. The store has its own delivery vehicles, which includes a new van that was recently added to the fleet.
The renovation is part of the company’s $3.5-billion investment aimed to generate significant growth and to make the online and in-store shopping experience simpler, faster and more convenient for Walmart customers. That includes renovating more than 150 stores – more than one-third of Walmart Canada’s store network.
The Dufferin Mall Supercentre employs more than 420 associates. The store hired 35 new associates for the renovation and is looking to hire for approximately 30 new roles. “Walmart is a great place to build a career,” added Bozic, who has worked at Walmart Canada for nearly 15 years. The store employs several associates with many years of service, including one associate who recently celebrated 45 years with Walmart. Individuals interested in applying for store positions can visit https://careers.walmart.ca/. The renovation also created approximately 100 trade and construction jobs.
Expanded assortment, new look and feel
- The Dufferin Mall Walmart Supercentre has a new fresh bakery, sushi bar, and other ready-to-eat food options such as rotisserie chickens and samosas.
- The international food aisle is now larger with an expanded assortment available.
- Fresh food has been moved to the side of the store under new signage and lighting.
- Newly upgraded front entrance, self-checkout area, and dairy and frozen sections.
- The pharmacy team is eager to offer new and longtime customers expert advice, compassionate help on health-care issues and assistance with products and prescriptions. Customers can book a COVID-19 or flu vaccination appointment here.
Dufferin Mall Walmart Quick Facts
- 143,000 sq. ft. store located on two levels at Toronto’s Dufferin Mall shopping centre.
- The store employs more than 420 associates, including one with 45 years of service.
- The store hired 35 new associates for the renovation and is looking to hire more staff.
- The renovation created approximately 100 trade and construction jobs.
- No. 1 store for third-party shoppers in Canada through online services such as Instacart.
- There are 150 slots available for grocery pickup everyday with plans to expand to 900.
- One of 14 Walmart stores in Toronto and the closest location to downtown Toronto.
- Designed to become a downtown Toronto delivery hub with its own vehicles, including one recently added to the fleet.
- Vendors include a minutekey, Western Union, Naoki Sushi, Walmart Pharmacy, Walmart Photo Centre, Walmart Vision Centre, Walmart Wireless and Walmart Financial ATM.
- New McDonald’s will be located inside the store (expected to open in spring 2022).
- Store hours are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by more than 1.5 million customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2021 and was also named one of Canada’s most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada has made a commitment to regeneration – focusing on equitable opportunity, sustainability, community, ethics and integrity. Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised over $500 million to support communities across Canada. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada’s social media pages – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.