- Renovated store includes expanded assortment and new services
- More than $13.4 million investment in the store
- Grocery pickup service expected to launch Dec. 21
Calgary, AB, Dec. 16, 2021 – Walmart Canada’s newly remodelled 148,000 sq. ft. Calgary Northland Walmart, located at 5005 Northland Dr. N.W., reopened to the community today as a new Walmart Supercentre, providing customers with a fresh assortment of affordable groceries, general merchandise and convenient services at Walmart’s everyday low prices.
The Calgary Northland Walmart renovation and conversion to a Supercentre represents a more than $13.4 million investment in the store, its customers and the community. The renovation is also part of the company’s $3.5-billion investment aimed to generate significant growth and to make the online and in-store shopping experience simpler, faster and more convenient for Walmart’s customers. That includes renovating more than 150 stores – more than one-third of Walmart Canada’s store network.
“I’m delighted to share that our Walmart has reopened with a fresh, new look at Northland Village Mall after an extensive upgrade,” said Store Manager Kody O’Blenis, who has been with Walmart for 15 years. “This is a very exciting time for our store as grocery pickup will soon be available for our customers. Our new Walmart will offer our customers the options they have been asking for — a one-stop shop for their shopping needs. I am excited to be able to offer our customers the freshest of offerings in meat and produce, in-store baked goods, an in-store deli, a fresh sushi counter and a wide selection of other items at Walmart’s everyday low prices.”
Expanded assortment, new look and feel
- The Calgary Northland Walmart Supercentre is expected to begin offering grocery pickup starting Dec. 21 – a convenient and easy way to shop at Walmart.
- One-third of the store is now dedicated to fresh groceries.
- New large international food offering, which caters to the Southeast Asian community.
- The health and wellness area has been revamped and expanded, and the cosmetics department has been fitted with new upgrades.
- The pharmacy has been renovated and the pharmacy team is eager to offer new and longtime customers expert advice, compassionate help on health-care issues and assistance with products and prescriptions. Customers can purchase COVID-19 rapid antigen tests in-store or book a COVID-19 or flu vaccination appointment here.
- The store now has 400 new shopping carts and around 200 new rolling baskets to make the shopping experience smoother and more pleasant.
- Unique layout with a contemporary look and feel, including new flooring at the entrance.
- Other new aspects include the colour palette, fixtures, front façade, in-store signage, lighting and ceiling tiles.
“This announcement is a testament to the partnership we have with Walmart and the work that's been ongoing to renew the Northland Village shopping area,” said Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek. “Calgarians deserve complete communities that offer options to shops and services close to their home. This significant reinvestment is a great first step to revitalizing a major community hub and I look forward to visiting”
Calgary Northland Walmart Quick Facts
- 148,000 sq. ft. store recently converted to a Walmart Supercentre.
- Offering fresh groceries, general merchandise and time-saving services such as grocery pickup.
- Created approximately 150 trade and construction jobs with the renovation.
- Employs more than 235 associates and hired more than 50 associates following the renovation.
- Approximately 25% of associates have been with Walmart for more than five years
- Store hours are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day.
- This Walmart location is the 10th Supercentre in Calgary and the retailer has 11 stores in the city.
- The store is an anchor tenant at Calgary’s Northland Village Mall, which is expected to be redeveloped into an open-air shopping complex, beginning in early 2022.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by more than 1.5 million customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2021 and was also named one of Canada’s most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada has made a commitment to regeneration – focusing on equitable opportunity, sustainability, community, ethics and integrity. Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised over $500 million to support communities across Canada. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada’s social media pages – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.