This modern facility is powered by cutting-edge logistics technology to achieve more productivity with less physical effort and deliver orders faster. Some of the innovations within the facility include:
- Goods-to-person robotics help associates store, pick and sort items with a high degree of accuracy, speeding up the fulfillment process.
- Three types of robotic technology assist associates with tasks within the facility.
- Smart and flexible storage manages a large and wide variety of inventory, improving availability for customers and allowing the facility to adapt to customers’ needs.
- Technology-enhanced inbound receiving allows associates to introduce items to the mobile storage units more quickly, with items available for purchase on Walmart.ca in as fast as 15 minutes once entered into the system.
- Auto-boxing technology helps to optimize packaging and minimize waste by building a custom-sized box for each order, resulting in more efficiently-packed trailers.
“We’re on a transformational journey to modernize our supply chain and today’s grand opening marks a major milestone for Walmart Canada,” said Gonzalo Gebara, President and CEO, Walmart Canada. “Walmart Canada is an omnichannel retailer, people-led and tech-powered. We’re providing our supply chain associates with modern logistics technology to fulfill orders at exceptional speed. Every day, we’re enhancing our supply chain network. It’s a very exciting time at Walmart Canada.”
“Time is the modern currency and we are more committed than ever to provide faster delivery,” said Patricio Dallan, Senior Vice President, Omni Supply Chain, Walmart Canada. “This new fulfillment centre is a game-changer. We’re working hard every day, testing, learning and scaling technology in our omni supply chain operations to exceed customer expectations and provide a more seamless shopping experience.”
The Rocky View County Fulfillment Centre is part of Walmart Canada’s larger $3.5 billion investment to revolutionize its best-in-class supply chain network and increase its e-commerce capabilities.
Supporting local suppliers
Walmart Canada proudly works with close to 2,000 Canadian suppliers, big and small. Walmart Canada bought approximately $220 million worth of products from more than 40 suppliers located in Alberta in a recent 12-month period, a number the retailer hopes to continue to grow. Walmart Canada is proud to support local suppliers, helping create more local jobs and giving customers more choices.
Commitment to the community
Walmart celebrated its commitment to the Rocky View County community by proudly presenting $10,000 to Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS) to help homeless animals in communities across Alberta and provide community support programs to address the root causes of animal overpopulation and homelessness and $10,000 to Dashmesh Culture Centre supporting their No Hungry Tummy Program, which provides hot meals on-the-go to families in need.