Mississauga, ON, Oct. 19, 2022 – Walmart Canada is investing over $14 million to renovate four stores in Newfoundland and Labrador this year, the retailer announced today at the St. John’s Board of Trade State of the Province.
These investments are part of Walmart Canada’s aim to transform the business and make the online and in-store shopping experience simpler, faster and more convenient for its customers.
Local stores renovated this year
New features and offerings
- Expanding product assortment and offering an upgraded look and feel.
- Integrating more dedicated omnichannel spaces for more online orders.
- Refreshing interiors and exteriors, including fresh paint and new signage.
- Adding LED lighting to key departments to enhance the interior experience.
- Updating associate lounge areas, including new couches and other upgrades.
- Renovating washroom areas, including new tiling and sustainability features.
- Replacing and upgrading legacy systems with new technology and applications.
Walmart Canada recently announced $1 billion in infrastructure investments this year, including approximately $330 million to renovate more than 80 stores across Canada, providing more than 2,500 trade and construction jobs.
Today, Walmart Canada also announced a $50,000 donation to Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador. The group is a national partner of Breakfast Club of Canada, to help support the charity in providing access to nutritious food programs at schools, at no cost to families. Walmart Canada provides charitable support through its community giving program year-round. In 2021, Walmart Canada raised and donated more than $930,000 to local Newfoundland and Labrador charities.
Since 2003, Walmart Canada has worked with Breakfast Club of Canada, raising more than $60 million. This long-lasting partnership is a major support for the Club and its over 3,000 school nutrition programs across the country, which help reach over 500,000 children each morning.
“Our local stores and associates have never been more important than they are today, which is why we’re continuing to make significant investments in Newfoundland and Labrador,” said Tom Flaim, Walmart Canada Regional Vice President for Atlantic Canada. “This year’s State of the Province event showcases the depth of our local business community and the strong collaboration between the public and private sector. Walmart Canada and our 2,400 local associates are proud to be part of this community.”
Walmart’s investments in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Proudly serving Newfoundland and Labrador since 1994.
- Home to 11 stores, employing more than 2,400 associates.
- Recently purchased approximately $43 million worth of products from 18 local suppliers in Newfoundland and Labrador over a 12-month period.
Major projects underway
- A new distribution centre in Moncton, which will provide fresh and frozen groceries to 43 Walmart stores in Atlantic Canada. This investment of over $56 million will create more than 200 jobs in the Moncton area, including over 100 jobs inside the facility.
- A new fulfillment centre in Quebec, which will serve as a delivery hub for millions of customer orders in Quebec and Atlantic Canada. This investment of over $100 million will create approximately 225 jobs in Quebec, plus construction and engineering jobs.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by more than 1.5 million customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2022 and was also named one of Canada’s most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada has made a commitment to regeneration – focusing on equitable opportunity, sustainability, community, ethics and integrity. Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised over $500 million to support communities across Canada. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada’s social media pages – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.