- 23 Walmart stores being renovated by end of February 2019 to enhance customer experience and optimize omni-channel shopping
- Approximately 2,500 construction jobs created
- Supercentre format now available in every province
- New Walmart Supercentre opens in Burnaby, BC
Mississauga, ON, October 11, 2018 – Walmart Canada announced today an investment of $175 million in its network of stores, dedicated to features and improvements to enhance the overall customer experience. Several stores across the country will be refurbished or updated to provide a comprehensive omni-channel experience featuring a seamless intersection of the in-store and online shopping experience.
Twenty-three Walmart stores across the country are set for renovation before February 2019, creating more than 2,500 construction jobs. Notably, today Walmart Canada opens a new Supercentre in Burnaby BC, equipped with a vast East Asian ethnic food offering. Also, Walmart Canada recently expanded its Supercentre store format into Newfoundland with the conversion of three stores, bringing a fresh grocery offering to every province across Canada.
“This investment in our stores is part of our commitment to provide our customers with an improved in-store shopping experience,” said Lee Tappenden, president and CEO of Walmart Canada. “We are modernizing our stores, ensuring a seamless omni-channel shopping experience and meeting evolving customer needs.”
Enhancements customers can expect to see in their local stores include:
- Contemporary updates: Physical updates that provide a refreshed look and feel including wider aisles, updated colour palette, new signage, and, in some stores, an updated exterior store front design to provide clearer access.
- Optimized omni-channel experience: Creating seamless integration of online shopping and in-store experience for omni-channel customers. Updated features include dedicated parking spaces for online grocery pickup and new areas in stores devoted to online orders to help facilitate the interaction between Walmart Canada’s ecommerce and bricks and mortar operations.
- Expanded assortment: Adding more product assortments to further integrate stores into the community including new ethnic selections and organics.
Today’s announcement further builds on other recent investments aimed at better servicing customers’ needs including:
- Introducing a pilot program with Instacart for express grocery delivery
- Collaborating with Sustainable Produce Urban Delivery Inc. (SPUD) to offer sustainable grocery delivery in Metro Vancouver
- Expanding Walmart’s Grocery Pickup service to 73 new stores this year, bringing the total number of stores offering the service to 165 by year’s end
- Building a $175 million state-of-the-art fulfillment centre in Surrey, BC and its intention to convert 100 per cent of it fleet to alternative power by 2028.
“Walmart Canada is committed to helping Canadians shop when they want, how they want and where they want,” said Tappenden. “As we move into 2019, we’ll continue to invest in more store remodels, including new and creative concepts in key urban stores.”
|Edmonton Capilano, AB
||Barrie North, ON
||Brampton North, ON
|Red Deer, AB
||Guelph North, ON
|Cowichan Valley, BC
||Kitchener West, ON
|New Westminster, BC
||Ottawa Barrhaven, ON
||Richmond Hill North, ON
|Winnipeg Polo Park, MB
||Thunder Bay, ON
||Wasaga Beach, ON
|Mount Pearl, NL
||Windsor East, ON
|St. John’s Aberdeen, NL
St John’s Kelsey, NL
To download b-roll and photography, please visit www.walmartcanada.ca/newsroom/media-library.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of 411 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca is visited by more than 750,000 customers daily. With more than 85,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada's extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart Canada has raised and donated more than $300 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca, facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/walmartcanada.