“Achieving the Province’s legislated GHG reduction targets requires a shift towards low-carbon heating options and the highest performing buildings,” said Bruce Ralston, Minister of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation. “This new facility, featuring state-of-the-art technology that focuses on sustainability and achieving zero-waste, is a big step in the right direction.”
Key Sustainability Features:
- LED lighting and intelligent controls, which can reduce energy consumption by 70%
- Efficient refrigeration systems using environmentally preferable CFC free carbon dioxide (CO2)
- HVAC system designed to reclaim heat rejected from the refrigeration system and leverage it in radiant under floor heating
- On track to becoming a zero-waste facility
- Special fans to maintain temperature throughout the facility
- Natural filtration systems for water to protect the local waterways and fish hatchery in the vicinity
- Recycled content in building materials, including recycled glass countertops in the lunchroom
- 18,000 new plants have been included on-site
Facts about the new British Columbia Grocery Distribution Centre
- Capable of processing 150,000 order picks per day that will be delivered to 45 Walmart stores across British Columbia.
- A future hub for Walmart’s electric fleet, including semi trucks and a fully-electric yard truck fleet.
- Will employ more than 250 people once fully operational and created more than 300 construction and engineering jobs during the building phase.
- Built vertically, optimizing the land use with racking up to 66 feet.
- Large windows throughout the facility promote natural light in the perimeter.
- Outdoor park and picnic area provides an opportunity for associates and community members to enjoy nature directly outside of the facility.
Facts about Walmart in British Columbia:
- Walmart Canada has been proudly serving British Columbians for more than 28 years.
- British Columbia is home to 47 Walmart stores and one new distribution centre, employing more than 12,000 associates.
- In 2021, Walmart invested more than $16 million in store upgrades in British Columbia.
- Walmart works with over 140 BC-based suppliers, purchasing over $640 million in product over a recent 12-month period.
- Walmart raised and donated more than $4.7 million for BC charities in 2021.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by more than 1.5 million customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2021 and was also named one of Canada’s most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada has made a commitment to regeneration – focusing on equitable opportunity, sustainability, community, ethics and integrity. Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised over $500 million to support communities across Canada. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada’s social media pages – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.