Survey reveals that one-stop-shopping saves 60 per cent more than shopping at multiple stores
“This year at Walmart we are offering our strongest ever value campaign around the back-to- school period,” said Lee Tappenden, chief merchandising officer for Walmart Canada. “We will offer more than 100 back-to-school items for teachers and students for a dollar or less.”
- Almost three-quarters of respondents felt that back-to-school shopping said low prices were the most important consideration when choosing where to shop.
- While 30% respondents will visit only one store, nearly 52% will make multiple trips to multiple stores
- When compared to single-trip shoppers, multiple-trip shoppers will spend at least 40 per cent more per child.
- Roughly one-third of respondents are planning to spend between $100 and $199. The average spend for all respondents is $190per child.
- Moms identified back-to-school clothes, shoes and stationery as their children’s three most important purchases for the new school year.
- 20 per cent of moms are spending their back-to-school budget on technology.
Not Just for Kids
- The survey found that 60 per cent of moms pick up a little treat for themselves while shopping for their children before the school year begins.
Feel Good Moms
- According to the survey, moms aren’t feeling back-to-school blues. More than half of respondents claimed feeling calm, proud and excited when it came to their back-to-school shopping experience.
- Feelings of stress and nervousness were found in less than one quarter of respondents.
Walmart Canada is committed to providing Canadians with a positive one-stop shopping experience. Items on the retailer’s one dollar or less list will include everyday basic supplies such as pens, pencils, crayons, pencil cases, lunch bags, gel pens and a broad assortment of notebooks styled to fit any personality. Walmart will also offer a vast assortment of quality and affordable fashion basics for children of all ages. Walmart has got moms covered in almost every other area including electronics and athletic gear, to name a few.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of discount stores and supercentres with more than 330 locations nationwide serving more than one million customers each day. With nearly 90,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is recognized by Waterstone Human Capital as having one of Canada's top 10 corporate cultures. Walmart Canada is focused on helping Canadian families in need. Since 1994, Walmart has donated and raised more than $160 million to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations.
Additional company information can be found at www.walmartcanada.ca, http://www.facebook.com/walmartcanada and at www.twitter.com/@walmartcanada. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.ca.
For further information please contact:
Rosalyn Carneiro, manager, public relations