- Newest store in Quebec, representing an approximate $20 million investment
- More than 300 new in-store jobs created
Mississauga, ON, Aug. 24, 2023 – Just in time for back to school, Walmart Canada officially opened its new Marché Central Walmart Supercentre in Montreal today. The community can now enjoy a modern, 140,000-square-foot store, conveniently located at the Marché Central Shopping Centre.
The new store offers a fresh assortment of affordable groceries, including Canadian produce, chicken and seafood, pork and beef from Quebec, a bakery and an international food section as well as general merchandise at Walmart’s everyday low prices. Customers can also enjoy convenient on-site services, including a full-service pharmacy as well as Walmart Grocery Pickup and Walmart Grocery Delivery.
The Marché Central Walmart Supercentre represents an approximate $20 million investment to better serve the community.
New features and offerings
- An impressive assortment of Quebec-sourced products – from food to general merchandise – throughout the store.
- Expansive international food section, including East Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, Latin, Italian and kosher offerings, which includes fresh meat.
- Walmart Grocery Pickup and Walmart Grocery Delivery – download the app here.
- Accès pharma chez Walmart Pharmacy, offering patients expert advice and help on healthcare issues as well as assistance with products, prescriptions and immunizations.
- A new medical clinic with Dr. Sami Ghobril and associates opening soon.
- Ghost Kitchens, where customers can order from the menus of more than 20 food and beverage companies, including Nescafe, Smokes Poutinerie, YogenFruz, and more.
- Sustainable features, including a refrigeration system that uses natural refrigerants and provides heat energy for building HVAC systems; an advanced building automation system for lighting and HVAC systems; and LED lighting throughout the store.
Walmart Canada is proud to be creating jobs in Quebec. The Marché Central Walmart Supercentre employs approximately 300 associates. Store Manager Francis Llarena is an example of the growth Walmart provides. Francis began his career at Walmart in 2007 as an Assistant Manager. The store is hiring and anyone interested in applying for store positions can visit https://careers.walmart.ca/.
Strengthening the local community
To mark today’s event, the store will make cheque presentations to two local charities: L’archipel de l’avenir, an organization whose mission is to promote the autonomy and social integration of adults through housing, support services and individual and community support measures; and Service de Nutrition et d'Action Communautaire (SNAC), which provides services to improve the food security of individuals who live in a situation of poverty, while also promoting autonomy. The Marché Central Walmart will continue to provide charitable support through its community giving program year-round. In 2022, Quebec Walmart stores raised and donated more than $5.8 million for charities.
Grand opening festivities
The celebration continues with family-fun activities throughout the weekend. Customers can enjoy food sampling, a celebration barbecue, giveaways, and character appearances.
For more information about the grand opening festivities, visit the store’s Facebook page.
Walmart’s investments in Quebec.
- Proudly serving the province of Quebec since 1994.
- Home to 73 stores and more than 14,000 associates.
- Invested more than $120 million in Quebec store upgrades over the past two years.
- Purchased approximately $3.5 billion worth of products from more than 480 Quebec-based suppliers over a recent 12-month period.
“We’re very excited to celebrate the grand opening of Walmart Canada’s newest store in Quebec and in our nationwide chain that includes more than 400 stores,” said Cyrille Ballereau, Vice President of Operations for Quebec, Walmart Canada. “We’re proud to continue to invest in Montreal, create local jobs, support Quebec suppliers and better serve the local community.”
“Our associates couldn’t wait to unveil the new store to the community. Along with our store team of more than 300 associates, we’ll work hard to earn their business and their trust,” said Store Manager Francis Llarena. “We want to ensure our customers have the very best shopping experience, whether they shop in-store or online. We know our new customers will be delighted by our bright, modern, easy-to-navigate new store and expanded product offering. It’s an exciting time to work and shop at Walmart!”
"Marché Central has been continually evolving since its initial construction 25 years ago and what has stayed consistent throughout this time is the value, service and convenience Marché offers the surrounding community, something the opening of the Walmart Supercentre only enhances," said Chrystal Burns, Executive Vice President of Canadian Retail at QuadReal. “We are thrilled to welcome Walmart into their brand-new space and our existing mix of 60 retail tenants. Our customers are extremely excited about this addition and the new offering Walmart brings to Marché Central and the broader Montreal community.”
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by more than 1.5 million customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2022 and was also named one of Canada’s most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada has made a commitment to regeneration – focusing on equitable opportunity, sustainability, community, ethics and integrity. Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised over $650 million to support communities across Canada. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada’s social media pages – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.