Walmart Canada is committed to ensuring the farm animals in our supply chain are treated humanely throughout their lives and that the welfare of farm animals be considered in selection of all production systems, practices and technologies. In 2016, Walmart Canada committed to purchasing only cage-free eggs by 2025.
We will not tolerate animal abuse of any kind and we support the globally-recognized “Five Freedoms” of animal welfare as an aspiration for animal welfare in our supply chain. We are working with our suppliers and industry partners to ensure the humane treatment of animals consistent with the Five Freedoms.
Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst -by providing ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor.
- Freedom from Discomfort –by providing appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease – by ensuring prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behavior – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.